Statistics in Context offers a fresh approach to teaching statistics. Designed to reduce students’ fear of numbers, the text aims to put statistics-wary readers at ease with uncomplicated explanations and practical examples drawn from real research and everyday life. Written in lively, accessible prose, the narrative describes the who, what, when, where, and why, and also the how, of statistics.
* “Everyday Statistics” boxes examine practical applications and relate them to the themes of the chapter
* “The Historical Context” features tell the story of how different statistical procedures developed
* “CheckPoint “exercises give students the chance to review the material and assess their understanding at the end of each section
* “Think About It” boxes challenge students to apply what they have learned to a difficult problem
* A variety of figures, tables, and worked examples guide students step by step through the calculations described in the text
* Abundant end-of-chapter practice problems give students many opportunities to test their mastery of the procedures described in the text
* The “Using Statistical Software” supplement teaches students how to perform statistical analysis using either SPSS or R